Monday, October 18, 2010

Hope Swansea and Internship

Last Sunday, some study abroad students and I went to a local church. When we arrived we discovered that they were not meeting this Sunday, and that a group of local churches (from various denominations) were meeting together for a worship service. It was a unique experience. Each of the churches who attended this service are members of a program called Hope Swansea. Hope Swansea unites churches in Swansea of all denominations for the purpose of praying for the city of Swansea. They set up "lighthouses" in various locations all around Swansea and program members sign up to pray regularly at these locations. It was inspiring to see a community so willing to look past differences and work together to serve the Lord. I am so thankful that God allowed me to be apart of their worship and celebration.

The following week, I began working at my internship. The British Court system operates in a unique manner. Individuals charged report to the Magistrates court and the Magistrates determine if these individuals will be sentenced in their court or at the Crown Court (higher court for major criminal offenses). The Magistrates are not judges, but three members of the community chosen for this volunteer position. They receive some training and are advised during each session by the Court Clerks Office (the office overseeing my internship). I have been able to observe the courts and trials during my time at the Court and the thing I have found to be most interesting is the discretion with which these Magistrates sentence offenders. The punishments are completely within the Magistrates personal control and as a result similar cases will receive extremely varied judgments. I am enjoying working at the court and it is proving to be a great learning opportunity.

I am enjoying my time in Wales so much:) My flatmates are fantastic people and we have all bonded very  quickly. They are teaching me new things about this country all the time. I am trying new things like eating beans and cheese toasties (pretty good) and watching British television (not as good), but it is all making this experience a learning opportunity of a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. You've been there as long as you have and are just now starting your internship? Girl, what have you been doing? haha

    It all sounds so interesting. You inspire me to go somewhere and try new things. I'm heading to Blowing Rock tomorrow. How's that? hahaha See what an adventurous life you have? I'm so proud of you! Can't wait to see you soon and hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete